Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Letting things go...

It's been a hectic time at work recently and I'm trying to not get too stressed out, but it's hard. But that's not what I'm here to talk about today. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am very sentimental. I hold onto things forever! I have a box of stuff from high school that moves from place to place with me full of letters, cards and other keepsakes. Today I took a step at becoming less sentimental about a part of my life. I knew that I had some metal collar stays someplace and I was looking for them because the plastic ones in my dress shirts have been cracking recently. While looking for them, I came across my high school class ring. I graduated high school 26 years ago, and I don't think I've worn the ring in about 20 years so I tried to figure out why I still have it? I've been seeing a lot of commercials lately about selling old jewelry and decided that I might as well see if I can get some cash for it.
Since I made the decision to sell my class ring, I decided to look at a couple of other things I've been sentimental about and cut those ties as well. I've been single since August of 2004 and my wedding band has been sitting on my dresser since then -- time to see if it can help me pay a bill or two, so I put it in my pocket along with my class ring. Then I found an initial ring that I received from my ex on our first Christmas together, with an engraving inside to commemorate that event - that went into the pocket as well.
Off to a jewelry store in the Arboretum area of Charlotte hoping to get at least $50.00 which will help with my utility bills. The class ring and wedding band were 10k and the initial ring 14k and I was very happy to receive a check for $210.00 for the three rings!!
I can't lie, I was feeling very sentimental about selling these rings - but at the same time, I was closing the book a little bit more on some difficult memories of my life that were attached to the wedding band. A little knot in my stomach as I did it -- but you have to admit -- it was time!
Thanks for reading and have a great day!! It's 69 degrees right now and a beautiful day in Charlotte - so I'm off to enjoy the great day!

No comments: